Sunday, September 18, 2011

Top 20 Most Anticipated Films of 2011

Well whatever's left of the year anyway. Like every year, Toronto film festival has kickstarted the Oscar season. Most films have been seen and the buzz is under gestation. I will have to wait till the nominations are announced to get to see some of the films (that's when they get released in India, with the number of Oscar nominations slapped on every advert) or travel halfway around the world. Till then, I can only anticipate these films, try not to read reviews to spoil anything more than the trailers already have. It is going to be a long wait. More so, because of the studio-multiplex stand-off that has been going on forever. As if it couldn't get any worse.

I don't know if most of these films will be released in India or be big draw at the box office in the West or win the Best Picture Oscar. I'm just naming the movies I'm tremendously excited about. Let me tell you beforehand that I am excited about a lot of movies. No seriously, A LOT. But before I get into that, there are 5 films that I am NOT excited about. Despite everything pointing towards the opposite:

Moneyball - Not a Brad Pitt in leading roles fan (Give me Burn After Reading). Didn't like Capote (2005). But Aaron Sorkin is writing this one!!

The Ides of March - Not a big fan of Clooney as a director. But then there's Ryan Gosling.

My Week With Marilyn - Two words: Michelle Williams. Is it only me who can't stand her?

Martha Marcy May Marlene - The title alone annoys me. (I can be incredibly profound sometimes)

W.E. - The Weinstein Company backing this one had everyone considering this as an Oscar contender. I'm glad it got bad reviews. I just didn't want this to be a reality: Madonna - 1, David Croneneberg - 0. (I'm talking about Best Director Oscar nominations, in case you were wondering)

The Rum Diary - I love Johnny Depp (who doesn't?). But the trailer was a bit too excited, didn't leave any room for me.





Runners-up:

New Year's Eve - Okay I love a good romantic comedy. Hoping this one isn't as bad as Valentine's Day (2010). That cast looks superb.

50/50 - The trailer charmed me into anticipating this one.

Sherlock Holmes 2 - I'm not a fan of Guy Ritchie's movies at all but the first Sherlock film sure did entertain me. With the most infamous villain (Moriarty) in the sequel, I expect a better film.

The Immortals - After The Cell and The Fall, Tarsem Singh should have got widely recognized. Hoping this one does that for him. At least, I hope this film (if it's good) can show people why 300 (2006) was a terrible film.

Anonymous - "We've all been played". Enough said.

Bernie - Richard Linklater and Jack Black team up again after School of Rock (2003).

The Help - Looks like this will be nominated for Best Picture. 

Wuthering Heights - Andrea Arnold stunned me with Fish Tank (2009). Early word has been underwhelming, sadly.

Margaret - This film has been threatening to release since forever. It's about time.

Twixt - Poor Mr. Coppola. After making the most perfect film and several great films, he has been struggling to make a mere good film since years. I hope it isn't as bad as they say it is.

The Top 20
(alphabetical order)

1. THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN and 
WAR HORSE

These two films are actually my most anticipated movies this year. Spielberg is my 3rd favorite film director of all time. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (1982) is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Spielberg is known for double whammys. What double whammys you ask? Two great movies. One year. Examples? 1993: Jurassic Park and Schindler's List. 2005: War of the Worlds and Munich. 2002: Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. 1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Always. 1997: The Lost World and Amistad. Some of those films may not be widely regarded as great, as compared to other Spielberg films, but ask this fan and you will hear a different story. There is not enough excitement I can conjure up for these films.


   2. THE ARTIST

A silent black and white film set in Hollywood in the 20s. Yes, a SILENT film. I'm pretty sure this one will turn up in my favorites of the year. Jean Dujardin is an incredible actor, a curious face. I've seen him in the OSS 117 films, both directed by Michael Hazanavicius whose nostalgia for film was always visible. I would simply recommend watching this film, even without seeing it. The Weinstein Company is behind this film and it's sure to show up as one of the Best Picture nominees this year. It is a favorite to win the Audience award at Toronto today.

3. CARNAGE

Roman Polanski is usually known for thrillers and horror films. That film that you saw last year? The one with the ballerina losing her mind? Yeah, that film owes a lot to this genius over here. But Polanski sometimes likes to willingly go off track and give us a Bitter Moon (1992). Reviews from the Venice film festival have not been too good but a movie about just 4 characters and watching these four people act: Kate Winslet Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly and Christoph Waltz, how the hell can I pass this up?

4.  A DANGEROUS METHOD

This film is about Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. As a psychology enthusiast, I couldn't be more excited. But with the name David Cronenberg attached, I could be way way more excited and I am. If you like mind-benders, he is the man. This Baron of Blood has been shockingly ignored by the Academy. This year seems to be nothing different. There is a clear evolving trajectory his style of filmmaking has followed since the 70s. His recent films are less sensational. The gore isn't all out. Stories are quieter. I like this new Cronenberg. Of course, he wouldn't have been so loved if he didn't make the films he did. But there is something cute about his recent films. Now I just used that word because I wanted to you to think, "Whaa. Cronenberg? Cute? Whaat? Cute? No way". Now since that's been done, I want to analogize this one for you. Keria Knightley. Cute. Petite. Gorgeous. She is apt for Pride and Prejudice. Costume dramas are her forte. But Cronenberg does this to her.




5. THE DESCENDANTS

Alexander Payne gave us Sideways in 2004. A film so beautifully touching and sublimely perceptive, that it got me searching every year for an Alexander Payne film to come out. It has taken him 7 long years and I hear it's worth the wait. This one looks like a combination of About Schmidt (2002) and Sideways (2004) to me. That thought itself makes me salivate. A solid Best Picture contender this one.

6. DRIVE

Ryan Gosling. What do I say about Ryan Gosling?! Except that I am unabashedly in love with this actor and I am publicly announcing it. He is a one in a generation kind of deal and we get to witness his rise. I liked him a lot in The Believer (2001) but I didn't imagine I would be looking at the same actor differently a decade later. He then came in The Notebook (2004) which got him a lot of public recognition (especially the female demographic). It was when I saw him in Half Nelson (2006) that I decided he is definitely one of the finest actors around. It also earned him his first Oscar nomination. Then came the film which made me hopelessly fall in love with him and that film was Lars and the Real Girl (2007). I could literally watch that film frame by frame to study each twitch of his facial muscle to fully fathom the beauty of film acting. To this day, I am baffled how he did not get nominated for an Oscar for this one. He also didn't get nominated for Blue Valentine (2010) last year which was just depressing. This year he is out with Drive and The Ides of March. He has more chances of getting nominated for the latter. Mr. Ryan Gosling, thank you for being born. I couldn't gush more about this actor. Not since James Stewart have I been so much in awe of an actor. He is definitely THE finest actor of our generation. (Yes, I am straight and I realize I am talking about a male actor here.)


7. EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

This film could be Tom Hanks' comeback. Of course, he doesn't need to make a comeback. His contribution thus far is enough for him to sit and rest on his laurels. But film lovers always want more. Oscars love him. Oscars also love Stepehen Daldry too. Oscar bloggers on the other hand, despise Daldry. The Reader (2008) apparently stole The Dark Knight's spot which sent them all in a tizzy. I just don't like to watch the poor lad take the bait for things he doesn't do. Sure he makes films which the Academy loves but at least he hasn't made The King's Speech (2010). Now that's what gives you a sour taste in your mouth. (I'm still not over The Social Network losing last year). He's made 3 films, all got him a Best Director nod. I would put my money on him if I were you.

8. THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

David Fincher. He has quickly gained a reputation of being one of the best contemporary American film directors. This is with good reason. Technically, he is a master craftsman. I love Seven (1995), Zodiac (2007) and The Social Network (2010). Fight Club (1999) never seems to go down well with me for reasons I will avoid getting into now. Dragon Tattoo is familiar territory for Fincher. Fincher is the Agatha Christie, the Arthur Conan Doyle of cinema. There is nobody better at making detective thrillers than Mr. Fincher. Hitchcock, who probably owns the murder mystery genre of film, could very well be jealous of him. The Swedish film was great with a powerhouse performance by Noomi Rapace. But I'm actually considering this film would be better because of Fincher's name attached. This trailer is also one of the best of this year.

9. HUGO

Martin Scorsese has earned the right to make whatever the hell he wants and however the hell he wants to. He can make a bad film also now and nobody will point a finger. (Going a little overboard, are we?). Paradoxically enough, I was conversing with a friend and we both agreed Scorsese is one of those filmmakers who have never made a bad film. I wholeheartedly believe this. Even his worst film is not a bad one. But what I really love about Scorsese is how much he loves movies. It can be seen in everything he touches. He truly loves them. I could listen to him talk about movies and that would be equal to watching 15 great films. Hugo seems to be another love letter to films. This time to the invention of films.

After Scorsese won an Oscar it seems everyone has stopped taking him seriously (at least Oscar-wise). But I am still there. Waiting in line, expecting a great one. I see Hugo as Scorsese making a Spielberg film. Scorsese has said everything he had to say about violence and destruction (inner and outer). About religion and morality. Now, let's give him one film to take it easy. (Like he will)

10. J. EDGAR

A biopic on J. Egdar Hoover, played by Leonardo DiCpario and directed by Clint Eastwood. This could very well be Leo's ticket to winning that Oscar which I feel he should have won in 2004 with The Aviator (2004). Eastwood did not show this film at Toronto or Venice. A brilliant decision (Oscar-wise). Eastwood's films are subtle, they sneak up on you, unannounced. It requires the viewer to be calm and observant. Rewards are a plenty. The flip side of this is that his films suffer from too much attention. A film like Hereafter (2010) suffered from too much attention by being shown at these film festivals. Million Dollar Baby (2004) is a perfect example of both of these points. A masterpiece of a film which took the audience and the Academy by surprise. Perfectly timed for a Clint Eastwood film. But then a few years down the line the film has been unfairly maligned, catapulted by the film winning the Best Picture Oscar. People called it sentimental. This is one of those cases which makes me think what if Citizen Kane had won that Oscar in 1941. Would it have the same reputation as the greatest film ever made? No, I'm not comparing the two. I'm just pointing out the impact the Oscars have on a film's fate and that impact is surely a palpable one.

11. LIKE CRAZY

I love these independent romantic films that have been churning out since the past few years. 500 Days of Summer (2009) and Blue Valentine (2010) maybe be radically different films but both feel intimate and cozy. A new dawn of romance in movies has arrived. Hopefully this one continues the tradition.


12. MELANCHOLIA

Lars von Trier has always been clouded with controversy. These clouds had to burst one day. Nobody can take the blame for it except himself. The fiasco at Cannes this year could really hamper Kirsten Dunst's Oscar chances. Having said that, I must acknowledge von Trier's bravado as a filmmaker. He is a relentless, fearless filmmaker. His ideas and visuals are to be devoured by any cinephile. Sometimes too provocative, this filmmaker cannot be ignored. Dogville (2003) is one of the finest films of the past decade. Melancholia seems like his epic. Hopefully, my opinion on this film will not be clouded by any preconceived notions.


13. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

Still. Haven't. Seen. It. 
!!!!!.

14. SHAME

Michael Fassbender is another force to be reckoned with. The kind of attention Ryan Gosling is getting after a decade, Fassbender has acquired in just a matter of 3 years (of course, he's been around for longer). We saw him in Inglourious Basterds (2009) in a bit role and then in Fish Tank (2009). This year he impressed the mainstream audience in X-Men: First Class and for good reason. I also liked his portrayal of Rochester in this year's Jane Eyre (the best version of Jane Eyre yet). Nobody can deny that these two actors are increasingly promising and under everybody's radar this year. Fassbender also has two shots at Oscar this year. One with A Dangerous Method and the other with Shame. He has more chances with this one. Steve McQueen wowed me with his 2008 film Hunger (also starring Fassbender) and I expect nothing less from him this time.



14. THE SKIN I LIVE IN

Almodovar has been on a roll since All About My Mother (1999). Almost everyone agrees Talk To her (2002) is his masterpiece. I even loved Bad Education (2004) and Broken Embraces (2009). He has taken inspiration from Hitchcock not to make thrillers but melodramas. Of course, there is Douglas Sirk for that but Almodovar's melodrama isn't just melodrama. He infuses them with psycho-sexual overtones. His use of color never fails to stun me.

15. TAKE SHELTER

The last apocalypse film I loved was Knowing (2009). It was the first film that took this sub-genre of disaster films seriously and actually had something to say. Take Shelter seems to be one of those. With Michael Shannon as the lead I am expecting a storm. Jessica Chastain who is showing up in every other film this year (Tree of Life, The Help, The Debt, Coriolanus and Texas Killing Fields) impressed me in The Tree of Life. But she doesn't seem to be my type of actress. I would still like to not make any judgments yet and wait and watch every performance of hers.

16. TAKE THIS WALTZ 

I cried buckets watching Sarah Polley's debut film Away From Her (2007). The film came out of nowhere and moved me deeply. Seth Rogen is particularly odd casting here. But it doesn't look bad at all. Michelle Williams is the only worry I have. I can't stand her, only a great film can act as a buffer. Blue Valentine and Brokeback Mountain managed to do that. (I hated her character in Shutter Island but then that helped in the scheme of things). Hope this is one of those cases.

17. TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY

Tomas Alredson directed the brilliant coming-of-age vampire film, Let The Right One In (2008). Let Me In (2010), the American remake came very very close to it. Both are great films. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy boasts a handsome cast: Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, John Hurt, Tom Hardy and Ciaran Hinds. This is a serious Oscar contender here. This film's trailer along with Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are the trailers of the year.

18. YOUNG ADULT

Jason Reitman shows a lot of promise. But for some reason I have not had the urge to watch his movies again. No, not even Juno (2007). Even Up in the Air was one of my favorite films of 2009 but I haven't seen it again. But I can still convincingly say Jason Reitman is one of the strongest American talents. Young Adult is written by Diablo Cody who wrote Juno. Let's see hope their sophomore effort outshines the first.

19. WE BOUGHT A ZOO

Cameron Crowe disappointed us in Elizabethtown (2005). After Almost Famous, which happens to be one of my favorite films of all time, Crowe had a lot fans he needed to please. I would go a little soft on him this time. The trailer shows he is going back to his Jerry Maguire roots and give us a film that is infused with the feel good factor.

20. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

Tilda Swinton. Even after she won an Oscar, she is still underrated in my book. Her restrained, intense performances are never showy. Maybe that's why she doesn't get enough admiration from the mainstream audience. A wonderful actress and a wonderfully promising director. I can't wait to watch this film.

That's that. As I said, there are a lot of films I want to see and hopefully will get to see before the end of the year. Until then, I can only for wish those Oscar nominations to be announced soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment